Prep. Time: 10 min Cook Time: 30 min Servings: 60
- 60 each Pita Bread, Whole Wheat -halves (35 grams)
- 3 qts. Hummus
- Lettuce or Spinach, and Tomato (optional)
GYRO CRUMBLE MIX
3 bags, Deeply Rooted Farms’ Unflavored Crumbles
- 3 tbsp. Oregano
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- 3 tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp. Paprika
- 12 c. Cucumber
- 8 c. Yogurt, Nonfat, Plain
- 1 tbsp., 1 tsp. Dill Weed
- 1 tbsp., 2 tsp. Minced Garlic
- Serving = 1 Pita
- 2 oz. Meat/Meat Alternate
- 11⁄4 oz. Equivalent Grain
- 1⁄4 c. Vegetable
- Prepare cucumber sauce: dice cucumber and add yogurt, dill and garlic and refrigerate.
- Prepare Gyro Crumble Mix: Deeply Rooted Crumbles.
STOVE: Mix 3 bags Deeply Rooted Farms’ Unflavored Crumbles, oregano, salt, minced garlic, paprika and 1 gal. water in a kettle, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for approx. 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
OVEN: Mix 3 bags Deeply Rooted Farms’ Unflavored Crumbles, oregano, salt, minced garlic, paprika and 1 gal. water in a 4“ deep full hotel pan. Cover and cook at 400°F for approx. 60 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and protein is tender.
- Layer pitas on a sheet pan and warm for 15 minutes (350°F).
- Smear heated Pita with 3 tbsp. hummus
- Cover with 1⁄4 c. prepared Gyro Crumble Mix
- Drizzle 1⁄4 c. cucumber sauce
- Sprinkle with diced lettuce or spinach, and tomato (optional)
- Sprinkle with feta cheese for added Mediterranean flare
- Chop red onion and top with cucumber sauce
- For extra fresh crunch, chop more cucumber and scatter over pita